About Cynthia Gilbert
Ms. Gilbert's practice focuses on the strategic development of patent portfolios for a range of companies in all stages of the invention life cycle: computer technology start-ups, emerging companies, and established public companies. She has developed deep experience across a wide range of technology disciplines, including virtualization, application delivery, network security, computational linguistics and information retrieval, cloud computing, mobile technologies and applications, Web 2.0, distributed computing, operating systems, and communications infrastructure.
Ms. Gilbert is registered to practice law in Massachusetts and before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office. Prior to founding Hyperion Law, she worked as a senior attorney in the intellectual property department at one of the nation's leading law firms. Ms. Gilbert has been selected for inclusion in the Massachusetts Super Lawyers / Rising Stars Edition several times, most recently in 2013.Ms. Gilbert has recently been highly ranked by Martindale-Hubble®, an organization providing comprehensive, peer-based attorney reviews for over a century. Ms. Gilbert's rating of "AV Preeminent® Attorney," is a testament to the fact that her peers rank her at the highest level of professional excellence. During the ranking process, Ms. Gilbert was described as an attorney to whom other attorneys would refer their clients without reservation, as "smart, tactical, and personable," and as an outstanding practitioner with an admirable depth of knowledge and "ability to apply that knowledge in thoughtful and sometimes novel ways."
- Building a robust patent portfolio to protect a multi-national client's key innovations in secure application delivery and virtualization technology
- Performing intellectual property due diligence reviews for venture capital companies prior to investment
- Preparing landscape analyses, non-infringement and invalidity opinions for technologies ranging from parallel computing to virtualization software
Publications and Presentations
- Panelist on “Young Entrepreneurs” segment of “Greater Boston” television show, WGBH, July 2011
- “International Survey of Green Tech IP Topics,” speaker, Boston Bar Association, International IP Law Meeting, October 2010
- “IP Considerations for Community Managers,” speaker, The Community Roundtable, September 2009
- "Creating Proprietary Value in an 'Open' World," co-presenter, 15th Annual RSA Conference, February 2006
Professional and Community Involvement
Ms. Gilbert is an active member of the Women's Bar of Massachusetts, the Boston Bar Association, and the Boston Patent Law Association; she is also a member of ALPFA Law, an organization for Latino business and legal professionals. She volunteers as a patent consultant for the Center for Women and Enterprise, a non-profit organization dedicated to helping women start and grow their own businesses. She has a longstanding relationship with Citizen Schools, an organization that drives massive change in middle school achievement in Massachusetts and across the country by creating supplemental mentorship and education for high-potential students from low-income communities.